Yamato Logistics (HK) Ltd. (Head office: Hong Kong; Managing Director: Kakikawa Yoshiki, hereinafter referred to as “Yamato HK”) announced that on 19th August, 2021, it became the first organization in Hong Kong to acquire certification for ISO 23412:2020 (hereinafter referred to as “ISO 23412”*), the international standard for refrigerated temporary storage and parcel delivery services. To mark the acquisition of the certification, an award ceremony for ISO 23412 was held on 12th November, 2021.
* ISO 23412 is an ISO certification that was published in May 28, 2020. It specifies requirements for the provision and operation of indirect, temperature-controlled refrigerated delivery services for refrigerated parcels which contain temperature-sensitive goods (including foods) in land transportation. It includes all refrigerated delivery service stages from acceptance (receipt) of a chilled or frozen parcel from the delivery service user to its delivery at the designated destination, including intermediate transfer of the refrigerated parcels between refrigerated vehicles or container and via a geographical routing system. It also includes requirements for resources, operations and communications to delivery service users. It is intended for application by refrigerated delivery service providers.
1. Background and Purpose
With the rapid expansion of online shopping market in recent years, demand for refrigerated delivery services has been growing at high rate. Customers’ rising awareness on food safety has driven concern on quality assurance on refrigerated cargo storage and delivery. The demand and quality awareness of refrigerated cargo have further grown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In response to growing needs of customers on safe and reliable refrigerated service, Yamato HK provides one stop cold chain service including refrigerated international freight forwarding, 24-hour-operations cold store service, B to B and B to C delivery service, for same day or next day cold delivery that can deliver fresh foods to consumers. It has been meeting international service standard. It had acquired PAS 1018 * in 2017 and ISO 22000:2005 * in 2019. In 2021, it has taken further step to upgrade its service standard to ISO 23412:2020 and become the first company in Hong Kong to get the certification.
* PAS 1018 is an international standard that was established on February 28, 2017, targeting the transport of parcels with intermediate transfers within refrigerated parcel delivery services. Starting with Yamato Holdings, participants include other businesses that handle refrigerated delivery services in Japan, as well as overseas industry organizations.
* ISO 22000:2005 specifies requirements for a food safety management system where an organization in the food chain needs to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption.
2. Overview of Certification
The company acquiring the certification and an overview of the certification are shown below.
|Scope||Indirect, Temperature-Controlled Refrigerated Temporary Storage and Delivery Services – Land transport of refrigerated parcels with intermediate transfer Specification – ISO 23412:2020 TMB TR3.|
|Certified Organization||Yamato Logistics (HK) Ltd.|
|Certification Registration Number||TCDS 726773|
|Certification Body||BSI Pacific Limited|
|Certification Registration Date||August 19, 2021|
3. Certification Award Ceremony
To mark the acquisition of the certification, an award ceremony for ISO 23412 was held on 12th November 2021.
Middle: Yamato HK – Mr. Kakikawa Yoshiki, Managing Director
Right: BSI HK – Mr. Raymond Lui, Director, Enterprise Solution & Marketing,
4. Other Related News Releases
(1) “Yamato Holdings Co., Ltd. Yamato Transport Co., Ltd. and Okinawa Yamato Transport Co., Ltd. are the first in the world to obtain ISO 23412 certification, an international standard for small- lot cold storage delivery services.”
URL (Jap): https://www.yamato-hd.co.jp/news/2020/20201008.html (news release—October 8, 2020)
(2) “Yamato Holdings , Ltd. SCG Yamato Express acquires ISO 23412 certification, the international standard for small-lot cold storage delivery service, for the first time in Thailand.”
URL (Eng):https://www.yamato-hd.co.jp/english/assets/pdf/2021_06_news.pdf (news release– March 3, 2021)
URL (Jap): https://www.yamato-hd.co.jp/news/2020/20210303.html (news release -March 3, 2021)
Reference: BSI (British Standards Institution) and BSI Pacific Limited
BSI (British Standards Institution) is a professional standards formulation organization that, since its establishment in 1901, has served as the world’s first national standards institution and as a founding member of ISO. BSI has played a leading role in developing a new generation of standards to help organizations to improve performance, reduce risks, and achieve sustainable growth. Its clients range from high-profile brands to small, local companies in 182 countries worldwide. With the many British Standards (BS) developed by BSI having been used as the basis for ISO standards such as ISO 9001 (quality management systems), ISO 14001 (environmental management systems), and ISO/IEC 27001 (information security management systems), it has the world’s foremost track record.
BSI Pacific Ltd. was established in Hong Kong in 1995 as the first Asian office of BSI. It mainly provides certification services and training courses. It is a leading certification institution in the industry.
Chris Chan, Global Supply Chain Management Division, Yamato Logistics (HK) Ltd.